MATS Group Statement on Covid-19
In light of the current situation around Coronavirus and the fact the UK Government have now announced that they are closing all schools and colleges, the MATS group are reviewing options to help support our industry maintain infrastructure and service.
In order to work at height on the networks, a worker is currently required to have the following in date training courses as a minimum: -
• Riggers medical
• Climber training
• Rescue training
• Emergency 1st aid
• Flat roof / Rooftop Access
Where training is still available and accessible, it should still be scheduled and attended. However, where this is not possible due to company policies or unavailability of training, MATS members have agreed the following:-
• A 3 month extension to the above training / access requirements (except RF) only if it expires during the lockdown period * and training is not available (to be continually reviewed as the situation continues to develop)
• RF training must be undertaken (refresher only) via online methods. Approved RF course providers who may offer an on line option can be found here - https://www.arqiva.com/documentation/gateway-documents/Accepted_Training_Providers_December_2019.pdf.
• Anyone who hasn’t completed the training previously cannot start to undertake tasks under this supportive measure as no prior training has been completed.
• Anyone who’s medical expires must complete the MATS medical questionnaire in GN-0005 – Medical requirements for climbing masts and towers (http://matsgroup.info/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Guidance_Note_005-Medical_Requirements_for_Climbing_Masts_and_Towers-Issue_3_November_2016.doc) in order to grant the 3 month extension to medicals. If possible, a telephone consultation should take place with a medical professional if services are still available.
• The MATS group will continue to monitor the impacts of the pandemic risks and determine any continuation of the extension period and the impact on training providers as the recovery to normal operations begins.
• Recovery of the training would look to re-certification to take the form of refresher training rather than full courses at this time.
* Lockdown period is taken as the announcement from the UK Government to close all schools and colleges
Should this situation be prolonged beyond 3 months, MATS Group will look for solutions for people to complete refresh training, working with the MATS approved training providers as well as further discussions with medical providers.
Further information will be posted as the situation develops
Chairman – MATS Group
Sent on behalf of the MATS Group
If anybody needs further Information on how Radio Structures can extend your current Radio Structures certificate? Please drop us a line on email@example.com
TRS Safety and Training is a subsidiary of Radio Structures Ltd, we are an accredited working at heights and safety training provider in the Telecom and Construction industry. We have just been audited as an accredited Provider able to deliver (EUSR) Energy Utilities Skills Register courses through (MATS) Mast and Towers Group for climber and rescue courses in the telecoms industry replacing the old Advanced Climber and tower rescue courses.
We have also been awarded accreditation under the Safe Contractor scheme and certified and awarded QMD ISO9001:2015, ISO14001:2015 and ISO45001:2018.
Both Radio Structures and our Instructors bring together over 45 years of practical experience and knowledge of what works best in industry and most importantly the real world. Our Instructors not only teach current and best practice but also practice what they teach as they are current practitioners in the industry.
Our main structure is a large enough working platform to accommodate a full course at one time. This allows the Instructors to deliver a more fluid course without interruptions of having students at ground level whilst other students perform their tasks at height.
The main 9m training structure has been designed to gain maximum potential from the students and will allow for rope access, rigging and climbing skills to take place. The aim is to develop the tower as time goes by to allow more than 1 course to be delivered at one time but not being disruptive to each courses delivery.
We have also developed a Rooftop structure that looks at identifying the risks of working on a rooftop either in the potential of a fall or in a protective area.
The facility has a number of other training towers on site to hone the workers skills and techniques on. These range from an 18m Rasmussen tower and an 18m Slimline self supporting mast that can be dismantled and reinstalled to full height. We also offer training in the installation of mobile towers.
We aim to keep the costs as low as possible without compromising the level of delivery. We feel our rates are very competitive and also offer reduced rates for those that support us. All of these rates are available on the website or on request.
With Northampton being central to most of England and well known for being the hub of the rigging industry, the location is well suited for ease of travel. We have access to most of the arterial routes across the midlands making it simple to travel in all directions.
As previously mentioned, TRS Safety Training Solutions are part of a bigger family within the industry, Radio Structures Ltd was established in 1979 and based in Northamptonshire UK, we are a leading designer, manufacturer and supplier of radio masts, CCTV and security masts, towers, antennas, and accessories. We also provide a comprehensive rigging and installation service, from site surveys through to final installation and Mast - Safe to climb certification and safety / maintenance programmes. We are trusted by numerous Government agencies, the utility sectors and large blue chip clients who all rely on quality, reliability and performance.
We pride ourselves on providing the highest quality workmanship, and high level customer care and feel that this has been proven over our 30 plus years in business.
Our services are used in a wide range of industries, throughout the UK and overseas. Our Masts and towers have been used on some high profile projects including Radio Caroline, the film 'The Boat That Rocked', Also erecting masts in preparation for the London Olympics 2012 and we will be supplying mast sections in support of Sir Ranulph Fiennes on his Coldest Journey (Seeing is believing exploration) at temperatures of -90°C.
The majority of our products are manufactured at TRS Complex in Northampton, all of our antennas and towers are manufactured by us, thus turnaround times are kept to a complete minimum and our quality control standards are very stringent. With our own fabrication and production facilities we are able to manufacture 'off the shelf' and 'bespoke' items for all project sizes, catering for all government departments, industry and consumers large and small.